She is the mother of Jordan Russell Davis who, at the tender age of 17, was shot and killed at a Gate Gas Station in Jacksonville, Florida on November 23, 2012. He was murdered by Michael Dunn, a middle aged software developer because he was agitated about how loud her son and his friends were playing music in their car. Their case was considered a mis-trial this past February. The case was re-tried in September and Michael Dunn was successfully convicted for the first degree murder of her son.
This community activist comes from an extensive family background involving civil rights. Her father was the Illinois Branch president of the NAACP for over twenty years and served on its national board as well. As a child, she traveled with her family attending marches and rallies supporting the civil rights movement and the coalitions of organizations fighting alongside Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Currently she is championing and fighting for common sense gun legislation and solutions to the issue of our country’s rampant gun violence. Lucia is a national spokesperson for Everytown For Gun Safety/ Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and acts as Faith and Community Outreach Organizer. In the few years since Jordan’s death, Lucy has fought for common sense gun legislation by:
- Testifying before the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on the “Stand Your Ground Laws: Civil Rights and Public Safety Implications of the Expanded Use of Deadly Force”.
- Speaking before both Georgia and Florida State Legislature Committee Hearings for Repeal of the Stand Your Ground Law.
- Attending the Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s closed session for a call to action for President Obama’s gun control measures.
- Being part of the White House for President Obama’s unveiling of My Brother’s Keeper Initiatives for minority young men.
- Speaking at the 2014 White House Summits on Educational Excellence for African Americans.
- Speaking at both the Harvard Kennedy School and Morehouse College.
- Visiting Washington DC and meeting with ranking members of the Congressional Black Caucus, state senators from Florida, New York, Colorado, Texas, Illinois, South Carolina, and California.
- Lobbying at the offices of Georgia state legislators Gingrey and Isakson.
- Appearing on national television networks including CNN, MSNBC, HLN, TV One.
- Appearing on TV shows hosted by Lawrence O’Donnell, Melissa Harris Perry, Soledad O’Brien, Anderson Cooper, Martin Bashir, Al Jazeera, Georgia Public Television, and many others.
- Giving interviews on numerous local and national radio stations, concerning her son’s case and gun violence legislation.
- Founding the Walk With Jordan Scholarship Foundation to provide charitable and educational assistance to graduating high school students attending traditional as well as technical and training colleges and universities.
Lucia recently retired from Delta Airlines In-Flight Service after 30 years of service. She received her B.A. degree in political science from Virginia State University and is a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Personal: Lucy maintains strong ties with her sorority Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Until Jordan’s death, Lucy’s main interests outside of work were acting, running, and motorcycling. Now her energies and focus are directed to the fight for commonsense gun legislation.